To become a commercial fisher in New Zealand, you need to be aware of how the Quota Management System works and your legal obligations under the Fisheries Act 1996. The first thing you need to do is become a client of FishServe. This will then enable you to apply for a fishing permit, register your fishing vessel and obtain some annual catch entitlement (ACE) and/or quota shares.

If you intend to fish for quota species, you need to obtain some ACE. ACE is generated from quota shares.

Once you have a fishing permit you will be required to report your fishing activity electronically. You need to be aware of your reporting obligations which will depend on the nature of your fishing operation. You also need to be aware of the fees involved in being a commercial fisher.

In 2014, FishServe introduced the Development Levy / System Redevelopment Levy to fund the redevelopment of our website and systems. The levy plays a crucial role in helping FishServe meet the changing needs of the New Zealand seafood industry, and has helped fund several improvements and advancements of the services and solutions you use every day.